We are looking for a professional 3D Character Modeling /Texturing Artist who has a good knowledge of Modeling characters for games and PBR texturing. Models are often based on original concept art and visual detail with the limitations of the game’s technology, taking the poly count of the models into account so games can render models quickly. Modelers also have in-depth knowledge of game anatomy and mesh flow.
Skills and Responsibilities:
- Sculpt and model compelling, 3D characters, according to the game style and art direction;
- Create additional character assets such as hair, accessories, armour, weapons, etc.;
- Texture the characters and character assets;
- Create convincing materials, reflecting the art direction of the project;
- Deliver clean and optimized low polygon models, and efficient UV layouts according to the project’s technical requirements;
- Think creatively, and search for relevant references from various sources, to solve daily artistic challenges;
- Work in a collaborative spirit both within the team and with other departments, such as Concept Art, Animation, Rigging, Game Design, etc. to ensure the successful completion and top quality of the game;
- Manage own time and work efficiently within production deadlines;
Software and Other Tools Used
- Character Artists work exclusively with computer software. A fluency in all or some of the following platforms is required:
- 3D Studio Max
- Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator
- Substance Painter
- The skills required for a 3D Character Artist include a high level of design ability and a strong understanding of the game production pipeline.
- Experience in digital sculpting, modeling, UV mapping, texturing.
- Solid knowledge of low-poly modelling and UV mapping - in Maya or equivalent software;
- Vision to take simple 2D sketch to fully realized 3D model.
- Understanding of mesh topology and edge loops.
- High level of artistic skills, strong sense of design.
- Knowledge of anatomy - proportions, muscle and skeletal structures.
- Understanding of form, shape, language and color.
- Ability to work from reference materials such as photography or concept art.
- Good time management skills, ability to meet deadlines
- Strong technical skills, knowledge of industry-standard software
- Good communication skills, ability to work with multiple departments on all their needs and constraints
- Specific to Video Game Character Artists: passion for playing video games, knowledge of various game genres and trends